Friday, February 21, 2014

India - Take 2

I'll admit, after I came in December, India was not on the top of my "countries visited" list. I found it overwhelming (as people usually describe) in all senses of the word - smell, sound, sights, cuisine, pace, etc. Parts of it were lovely but it was hard for me to focus on them in spite of everything else. Now that I am on my second trip, things are going much better for me. I have been able to relax into things a little more naturally and packed enough snacks to offset the 24/7 spice parade that is most all food here.

After work yesterday, I went to the Rock Fort (pictured above) with two of my U.S. colleagues and together we walked barefoot up all 344 steps to the top temple (lower, right-hand corner). The rock is one of the oldest rock formations in the world, at 3.8 billion years of age. Inside the rock, several temples and a fort are carved - both serving their purposes for centuries -- the first temple was built in 580 AD.

Our transportation for the evening was the lovely, yellow auto rickshaw I am sitting in. In case you want a glimpse of what that was like, I took a short video for you.
The city of Trichy below from near the top of the Rock Fort.
After our temple adventures, we went for a little clothes shopping -- I think I am ready for spring now -- and then headed back to the hotel for dinner. In all, it was a pretty good day. Thanks for stopping by and hope to see you soon.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jenn! I've enjoyed catching up on your latest adventures. It's amazing the places you have traveled to lately! Have a safe trip in India!

    ReplyDelete